(Links in this post are affiliate links. I will be compensated when you make a purchase by clicking those links. See my disclosure page for more information)
Looking to save money? This article shares more than 250 ways thrifty people save money.Plus read to the end to find the 10 key things thrifty people do over and over to save money on just about anything!
It all began with a challenge to snap a picture of a thrifty act each week for a month. During that month I discovered people really liked my thrifty people tips, and so I started writing about them as many Fridays as I could (some weeks the thrifty people muse doesn’t visit me but instead the resale fairy visits)
Almost 2 years later I have shared 23 articles with 10 thrifty tips and 1 article with 20 thrifty tips making a whopping 250 thrifty tips covering all kinds of areas of finances, from dating, to groceries, to camping and more.
(Do you want a steady stream of thrifty tips and hot deals? Join my Thrifty People Of Snail Pace Transformations facebook group)
250 Ways Thrifty People Save Money
That is 24 articles of 10 points, and 1 article of 20 points add it up, and you have 250 ways thrifty people save money. Plus! Click on the pictures to go to even more money saving posts.
When you click through and read the articles, you will find…
10 Key Things Thrifty People Do Over & Over To Save Money On Just About Anything
1. Shop Sales And Clearance
- 5 clearance rack tips to help you find the best discounts
- 6 ways to increase your savings on clearance items
A thrifty person rarely pays full price, and clearance racks are usually just the beginning of the list of tips and tricks to pay the least amount possible for their items.
2. Shop Secondhand
- Goodwill shopping tips
- How to best shop yard sales
- Thrift store shopping tips
- A thrifty person’s first ThredUp order: will she will order again
From cars to furniture to clothes, thrifty people know that the way to save a significant amount of money on purchase is to buy secondhand.
3. Find A Coupon And Use It
Places to find printable coupons
The Three I use Most
- Receipt Hog (use my referral code YECT1667 at sign-up to earn free spins)
- Fetch Rewards (use my referral code RE9FU at sign-up to earn 1500 points after you complete your first receipt)
- Ibotta (Sign up and receive $2 when you use my referral link! Offer could change any time)
- Berry Cart (organic & gluten-free foods)
- Checkout 51
- Shopkick (use my referral code KICK040635 to earn 250 points when you complete your first walk-in or scan within 7 days of downloading the app)
- Saving Star
4. Don’t Buy More Than You Need
This is hard for bargain lovers; we often get distracted by an “amazing bargain” forgetting a bargain isn’t a bargain if we didn’t need it in the first place. Those cool Christmas decorations might just a dollar a box but if you already have enough decorations each box bought is a dollar wasted.
5. Check Cashback Sites And Apps For Further Discounts
- Ebates (Join free and get a $10 gift card after your first purchase of $25 or more –offer could change at any time)
- Top CashBack (no minimum cash out thresholds)
- ibotta (Sign up and receive $2 when you use my referral link! Offer could change any time) (so much more than a grocery rebate app)
- Swagbucks (a point rewards program with an impressive cashback feature)
Cashback sites give anywhere from 2 to 3 percent back to 8 percent or sometimes even higher on purchases made at your favorite stores when you use their links to take you to the shop you want. The cash back is often given in the form of either a rebate check, a PayPal deposit or a gift card, depending on the program.
6. Purchase Discounted Gift Cards Or Discount Codes
- Raise (use my referral link or enter vhuizinga at sign-up and get $5 off your first gift card)
- Butterfly Saves (Butterfly Saves is a discount code site that you buy before you shop go to the Butterfly Saves website and read all the details)
If you know that you are planning to rebuild your back deck and you know what home improvement store you are going to get your supplies at, jump over to Cardpool or Raise and see if you can save on your supplies using discounted gift cards. For instance, our family regularly save 7% or more to the home improvement store in our town and over the years this thrifty trick has saved us hundreds of dollars.
7. Make What You Do Own Last Longer
- How Having a “Good Enough” Attitude Can Save You Money
- Save Money By Buying Replacement Parts On Amazon
- 10 Ways Thrifty People Use Things Up To The Last Drop
Taking care of your items makes them last longer and that, of course, means you don’t have to buy replacements as often saving you money.
8. Watch Daily Deal Sites For Things On Your Need List
For Entertainment Savings In Your Area
For Savings On Clothing, Gifts And Household Items
- Zulily- great for top name brands in clothing and housing goods at 50% off and sometimes more.
- Jane.com – great for unique gifts. Often has Etsy sellers selling goods at a deep discount.
- GroopDealz – good for personalized goods and the latest fashion trend items for less.
I love Groupon for finding great deals for restaurants in our area for thrifty date nights. I found a 1/2 price voucher for my favorite vitamin website at Living Social not too long ago. Zulily is my go-to site for deals on everything from purses, to shoes, to running gear and much much more. If you can’t find a sale, you can probably find a daily deal.
I have created a 2-page checklist to help you toss clutter and gain cash through your next yard sale.
9. Sell What You No Longer Need To Help Purchase What You Currently Need
Need a tent for an upcoming camping trip, sell your clutter and not only clean your home but get the tent you want paid for. Whatever it is you need to pay for selling things you no longer need is a great way to help soften the blow that the purchase has to your budget.
10. Use Point Reward Programs To Earn Gift Cards
The top 3 point programs I recommend. These programs offer several simple ways to earn points, low cash out values and they deliver the gift cards you earn promptly.
- Swagbucks –with over 25 ways to earn points Swagbucks can be a BIG earner.
- InstaGC – The Insta stands for instant delivery of the gift cards you earn.
- PrizeRebel – Offers delivery of your gift cards within 48 hours or less.
You can always add in a few more point reward companies to make your monthly return even higher.
Thrifty and Thriving: More Life for Less Money is not your typical “how to save money” book. It does not list 25 ways to save on food or 10 ways to decrease your electric bill. Instead, it shares more than 40 key practices and principles that thrifty families use every day. Get your copy here. Available in both paperback and Kindle on Amazon