I grew up with Wacky Cake being a staple in my home especially when the chickens were not producing eggs. It has no eggs and no butter and no milk and contains one ingredient you don’t normally see in cake recipes–that is why it’s called Wacky. But despite its odd list of ingredients is a super moist and delicious chocolate cake.
Wacky Cake: A Vegan Friendly Chocolate Cake Recipe! No Milk Or Eggs
(Links in this post are affiliate links. I will be compensated when you make a purchase by clicking those links. See my disclosure page for more information)
You won’t be messing up a bowl or your mixer for this one.
All you need to make Wacky Cake is:
- a 9×13 pan
- liquid ingredient measuring cup
- a spatula or wooden spoon
- dry ingredient measuring cups
- measuring spoons
The ingredients you need to make Wacky Cake are:
- unbleached flour
- baking soda
- granulated sugar
- baking powder
- white vinegar
- olive oil (or your preferred type of oil)
- warm water
The First Four Steps For Making Chocolate Wacky Cake
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix up all the dry ingredients in your 9×13 pan.
- Make 3 holes in your dry ingredients, 2 small and one large.
- Pour the vinegar in one, the vanilla in another, and in the large one the oil.
The Last 3 Steps For Making Chocolate Wacky Cake
- Pour 2 cups of warm water over the dry ingredients.
- Stir it all up until it is well mixed–Make sure to really get into the corners of the pan.
- Place it in the oven for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
This will be the end result! It’s yummy by itself BUT…
It is even better with my chocolate truffle icing or for a vegan-friendly icing you could try this recipe that uses coconut milk.
This recipe also makes 12 delicious giant cupcakes!
3 More Recipes For Chocolate Lovers
Wacky Cake (Vegan Friendly)
- 3 cups unbleached flour white wheat would work too
- 1 tsp soda
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 10 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 10 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups warm water
- mix all the dry ingredients into your 9 x13 pan
- make 3 holes in the dry ingredients
- add vinegar to one hole
- add oil to the second hole
- add vanilla to the third hole
- Pour 2 cups warm water over the entire pan.
- mix ingredients well.
- Place in preheated oven of 350 degrees for 30 minutes
Become A Snail Pacer
Receive a monthly newsletter full of tips for making life changes at a realistic pace.
Amanda @ Serenity Now says
Neat recipe! I have to agree about the icing making a good cake taste even better. 😉 I’m visiting from Tasty Tuesday…hope you’ll stop by my blog too! 🙂
This sounds delicious! And so very good to be vegan friendly! I saw this link in your post for today, and I know it is old, but would love for you to share it at what i am eating http://www.townsend-house.com/2013/03/what-i-am-eating-guest-post-crazy.html
I added it to your link up for you.
Kelly @ Way Past Fabulous says
This looks like a great recipe to use with the kids!!
I grew up with this recipe! It is the only chocolate cake my mother ever made. 🙂 And it’s a gently sweet cake – not like the overpowering sweetness in many cakes.
Leigh Anne says
This looks great! My 5 month old has a milk allergy so I can not have dairy until I stop nursing! So excited to try this. Thank you!! Stopping by from Titus 2sday Link Up.
Can you use all purpose flour or cake flour?
Yes both all purpose and cake flour should work.
Hi, would almond flour work as well? We just learned my son is allergic to dairy, gluten and wheat!
I really don’t know. I would say try making 1/2 a recipes in a 8 by 8 pan to test it first. That way if it doesn’t work at least you only wasted 1/2 a recipe and not a whole. I know you can 1/2 this recipe as I have done it before with great success.
Yashka Garde says
Recipe said soda…..but talks about 3 holes for the three liquids. So it the soda like the drink soda or baking soda? Thanks