(post contains affiliate links: see disclosure)
There are as many names for these cookies as there are variations. My family calls them haystacks, my husband’s family calls them unbaked cookies. Where we live now, they make them without raisins or coconut, and some add peanut butter.
However, for today I am going to show you how to make them like my husband loves them, because he is usually who I make them for.
Unbaked Cookies/No Bake Cookies/ Haystack Cookies or Whatever Your Family Calls Them
First get out a big pot. Place butter in the bottom and put on the stove over medium heat.
What I love about using my soup pot for this recipe is that it makes the recipe a one pot clean up.
Once your butter is almost melted go ahead and add in the sugar and milk.
Keep whisking the ingredients frequently until they reach a frothy boiling point. Then add in the pure vanilla and remove from heat.
Quickly add in the oats, cocoa, raisins, and coconut.
Stir all the ingredients together well.
Drop spoonfuls of the cookie dough onto wax paper and allow to cool.
My favorite part of making these cookies is cleaning out the pot with a spoon afterwards and enjoying the warm chocolatey goodness.
How about you? do you know any recipes that seem to have many names and variations?
- 1 stick butter (1/2 cup)
- ½ cup milk (must be 2% fat content of higher to work)
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla
- 3 cups quick oats
- 5 tbsp cocoa
- ½ cup raisins
- 1 cup sweetened coconut
- -place butter in the bottom of a large pot and put on the stove over medium heat.
- -once your butter is almost melted go ahead and add in the sugar and milk.
- -keep whisking the ingredients frequently until they reach a frothy boiling point.
- -add in the pure vanilla and remove from heat.
- -quickly add in the oats, cocoa, raisins, and coconut.
- -stir all the ingredients together well.
- -drop spoonfuls of the cookie dough onto wax paper and allow to cool.
Get snail-e-mail in your inbox each week!
A weekly email with the feel of snail mail. A peek into my week, a few deals so good I just have to share, and links to all of Snail Pace Transformations latest posts!