Last updated on September 15th, 2021 at 11:21 pm
I have recently found a new addiction; making my own chocolate bars. I have played around with various recipes I have found and have finally created a version of my own that satisfies my need for chocolate, without having to go out to the store (dangerous for sure but oh so good 🙂 )
These chocolate bars are sweetened with maple syrup making them low in sugar compared to most bars available on the market. Best part though, I can make myself chocolate whenever I am in the mood for it, without needing to leave my house. These chocolate bars are ready to eat in under 15 minutes and take less than 5 minutes to make.
(Links in this post are affiliate links. I will be compensated when you make a purchase by clicking those links. See my disclosure page for more information)
Coconut Almond Chocolate Bars: Vegan & No Refined Sugar
Ingredients for my homemade coconut almond chocolate bars include:
- Unrefined organic coconut oil
- Pure maple syrup
- Unsweetened coconut
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Celtic sea salt
- Almonds ( I use whole and used my food processor to crush them up into small chunks)
Before you start making the chocolate I suggest you get an 8 by 8 baking pan out and grease it and line it with wax paper. This chocolate sets up quickly so having the pan ready before you start is essential. I didn’t during one batch and the end result was lumpy chocolate.
The first step is to melt the coconut oil. I did this by placing mine in a microwave-safe bowl and microwaving it on high for right around a minute. It might take yours less or more depending on how solid it is before you put it in the microwave so I suggest doing it 20 seconds at a time and stirring in between. That is what I did and it worked great. You can also melt in on the stovetop in a pot if you prefer (just watch it carefully because it won’t take long to melt).
Mix the unsweetened cocoa in the melted coconut oil, and then stir in the maple syrup. After that throw in the almonds (crushed into chunks by the food processor) and sweetened coconut.
Lastly put in the celtic sea salt. Now this salt is very strong so I used just 1/8 of a teaspoon. If you don’t have Celtic sea salt, you can use any sea salt or table salt but you might have to put in just a tad more. The salt really brings out the flavor in this chocolate, trust me it makes a big difference in the taste.
Once you have done pouring you chocolate out into the pan. Place it on a flat surface in your freezer to firm up. It takes roughly 10 to 15 minutes. At that point take the bar out and remove it from the pan and peel of the wax paper. Cut it into small squares and place them in a freezer-safe container. Keep the chocolate in the freezer and take it out as you want to eat it so that it stays firm. This chocolate is very soft, but very yummy and will satisfy a chocolate craving without a sugar buzz.
Another Vegan Chocolate Recipe
Chocolate Wacky Cake (super moist and uses no eggs or milk)
More Recipes Using Unrefined Sugar Sources
Healthier Peanut Butter Balls ( use this recipe above without the add-ins to coat them without using refined sugar)
Double Chocolate Cookie Dough balls (to make them free of refined sugars omit the semi-sweet chocolate chips )
Coconut Almond Chocolate Bars
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 3 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup crushed almonds
- 1/8 tsp celtic sea salt you can use another brand of sea salt but you might have to add a tad more
- grease a 8 by 8 pan and line it with wax paper, also greased.
- melt the coconut oil (If using microwave take it 20 seconds on high at a time and stir in between until it is just melted
- add unsweetened cocoa powder to melted coconut oil and stir until well blended.
- add in coconut and almonds and blend
- add the salt and stir
- pour out the mixture into the greased and wax lined 8 by 8 pan
- place pan on an even surface in freezer
- allow to harden (should take 10 to 15 minutes)
- take out of pan and peel off wax paper
- cut into pieces and place in a freezer safe container
- take it out piece by piece as you want to consume it.
Get snail-e-mail in your inbox each week!
A weekly email with the feel of snail mail. A peek into my week, a few deals so good I just have to share, and links to all of Snail Pace Transformations latest posts!