Last updated on August 27th, 2021 at 07:47 pm
You worked so hard to shrink those piles of clutter, don’t re-clutter! Use this list of 100 things to do instead of shopping as a way to end clutter accumulation in your home. Every time you get tempted to fill spare time with shopping, look at this list and do something on it instead.
End Clutter Accumulation: 100 Things To Do Instead Of Shopping
(Links in this post are affiliate links. I will be compensated when you make a purchase by clicking those links. See my disclosure page for more information)
Me and my redhead runner! I love running way more than shopping!
Get Some Exercise
1. Take a hike
2. Go on a bike ride
3. Take a class
4. Go for a walk
5. Borrow some equipment and try something new
Every month my husband and I plan a date day! Spending money doing things together is so much more fun than spending money on things that become clutter.
6. Plan a trip
7. Write out a plan for a new stream of income
At a loss for ideas? Check out this list of 19 Ways To Make Money Using Your Smartphone
8. Write a bucket list for the next season, year, five years
9. Plan a home renovation
10. Create several menu plans and corresponding grocery lists
11. Create a personalized cleaning routine you can stick to
12. Create more printable plans that can save you time and prevent decision fatigue by automating as much of daily life as possible.
This past Christmas we hosted a cookie decorating party for the two-year-olds in our Sunday School class and their families. We had so much fun!
Spend Time With Someone
13. Skype, Facetime or Zoom with a long distance friend
14. Meet Someone for coffee
I use gift cards earned from InstaGC to fund my Starbucks habit
15. Exercise with someone
16. Complete a project with a friend or your spouse
17. Open up your house to others. Have people over for dinner, dessert, a movie, coffee–the ideas are endless.
Complete A Project
18. Make a list of all the projects you already have all the supplies for and then finish them
I love reading magazines and I get all mine for free (more on how below). However, I give myself strict rules–no keeping back issues and when I get behind more than one issue, I have to toss all but the current one in the recycling bin. Of course, since I get them for free, I don’t feel guilty doing this.
19.Read a book
If you like Christian fiction or non-fiction, you are going to want to sign up for MyReadersRewards where you can earn a free paperback book each month just by doing a few simple tasks.
20. Read a magazine
I get all my magazines for no money out of pocket through RecycleBank. It doesn’t take long to earn enough points for a year-long subscription to magazines like Real Simple, Better Homes & Gardens, and Country Living.
Listen To Something
21. Listen to an audiobook
Did you know that audible offers a free two month trial?
22. Listen to your favorite music
23. Listen to a podcast
24. Watch a movie
25. Watch a series
26. Watch another person’s life unfold on YouTube
27. Learn a new skill
28. Improve skills you already have
29. Study the classics
30. A room in the house
31. Detail clean your car
32. Tidy up the yard
I finally took some time a while ago to update most of my social media profile pictures
33. Create a capsule wardrobe for the current season
34. Organize your kitchen cupboards into zones. Coffee stuff in one area, spices in another, etc.
35. Clean out your computer
36. Get rid of junk photos off your phone and your computer
37. Update your social media profiles
38. Empty your email box
Not a great baker, but love eating the goodies? Try my 5 no-bake recipes that require minimal cooking skills.
43. Write A Book
44. Create A Digital Product
46. Hobby items
48. Art and crafts
49. Throw A Yard Sale
One of my favorite games is battleship. Click here for a list of board games our family loves
50. Board games
53. Download a few game apps to your phone
This recipe for Lavender Coconut Body Cream is so simple to make and really soothes dry skin.
Treat Yourself To At Home Spa Treatments
54. Bubble bath
55. Manicure and/or Pedicure
56. DIY facemask
57. Foot soak, scrub and moisturize
58. Watch makeup tutorials on YouTube and try a new look using cosmetics you own
59. Watch hair tutorials on YouTube and try a new look using hair supplies you own
This winter my husband and I had a “tourist in your own town” date day and tried out a locally owned restaurant.
Be A Tourist In Your Own Town
60. Attend a local festival
61. Sign up for a local 5k and train for it using the couch to 5K app
62. Visit a local park and enjoy its services
63. Visit your local library and borrow a book, audiobook, DVD, etc.
64. Go to local museums
65. Go to local art galleries
Here are 7 ideas for swap item parties that you can throw with your friends.Remember to take only items you need and donate the leftovers to charity. That makes these parties clutter free for everyone.
Do Something Green
66. Upcycle an item
67. Host a swap party
68. Look up DIY green cleaner recipes and try one that uses ingredients you have on hand
It really doesn’t take much to lift the spirits of the people you encounter in your daily life–here are 7 simple ways.
Touch A Heart
69. Write an old-fashioned snail mail letter of thanks and send it
70. Send someone an encouraging text
71. Volunteer for a local cause
72. Bake up a double batch of cookies and give half of them to a neighbor
73. Send an email to your favorite blogger full of reasons why you love their blog
74. Spend a few minutes leaving comments on social media posts of those you follow that don’t seem to be getting much love.
Enjoy The Simple Things
75. Take a nap
76. Get up and dance to your favorite music
77. Grab a cup of coffee, find a place to curl up and just do nothing
78. Sing along to your favorite song as loud as your lungs allow
79. Build a fort, even if you don’t have little ones to play in it with you
80. Turn off the lights, light some candles and contemplate life
81. Get out the photos and have fun remembering when
82. People watch
83. Write a gratitude list
84. Change the light bulbs
85. Mend the clothing
86. Grease the squeak
87. Tighten that screw
88. Touch up that paint
Almost every budget can be improved upon—here is how to audit yours.
Improve Your Financial Future
89. Make a budget or revise the one you have
90. Set a savings goal
91. Think of ways to generate more income
92. Sign up for point reward programs where you can earn points for doing things you already do online and cash them in for gift cards
93. Download and start using these money saving apps when you buy groceries
94. Perform an expense audit
95. Watch an entire season of a TV series in a weekend using Netflix, Amazon Prime, or Hulu
Did you know you can get a free 30 day trial of Amazon Prime, which includes Amazon Prime Video?
96. Go to the library and get out an entire book series and read for hours each day until it is done
97. Pick a podcast and download the whole series to your phone (or as much as possible at one time) and see how many walks, runs, etc. it takes you to finish it all
98. Pick one recipe book out of your collection and make a new recipe from it every week until you reach the last one
99. Watch the entire archives of your favorite YouTuber over the course of a few days, weeks, or months
Just the other month I went through my wardrobe and found an entire box of stuff to giveaway.
Because This List Wouldn’t Be Complete Without Adding This
100. Declutter deeper
Since this is a post about how to stay clutter free, it wouldn’t be complete without adding to it the free pursuit of tossing more stuff. Life changes, and therefore your needs for specific items change too. Always be actively re-evaluating everything you own.
For more decluttering tips and support, join the Snail Pace Decluttering Facebook group.
Need decluttering help? Check out these posts
- 52 Weeks To A Simplified Home: A Realistic Decluttering Plan For Busy Families
- How To Start Decluttering When You Feel Overwhelmed
- How To Declutter Even When You Don’t Feel Like It
Get snail-e-mail in your inbox each week!
A weekly email with the feel of snail mail. A peek into my week, a few deals so good I just have to share, and links to all of Snail Pace Transformations latest posts!