Family size loaves of 100% whole grain bread are just $1.39 each at the bread outlet store I visit. The lowest I can find the same loaf of bread in my local grocery stores is $1.94 meaning I save .55 cents a loaf. Our family uses 3 loaves a week making my weekly savings $1.65. There are 52 weeks in a year meaning I can save as much as $85.80 a year using this one money saving tip.
Tips for shopping at Bread Outlet Stores
1. If you have special dietary needs or prefer organic don’t think that you won’t find these types of products at discount bread stores because you can. I see organic and gluten free products at my bread outlet store all the time.
2. The bread keeps fine in your freezer for several weeks so stock up to avoid having to make frequent stops. This will save you time and money.
3. Look for special signs posted. Often there are deals like buy 10 loaves get one free. Or buy 5 loaves get a free package of English muffins.
4. Ask if there is a certain day or time they get deliveries. These would be the best time to stop in and shop as they will have the best selection.
5. Don’t stack your bread one on top of the other in the freezer instead stack them side by side until they freeze to avoid squashed loaves. Once frozen then you can stack them if you need too.
6. Some breads freeze better than others. For instance our family finds whole grain bread freezes wonderfully but hot dogs and hamburgers (which we prefer to be white) don’t. (so I bake my own instead)
If you are looking for a way to squeeze a bit more from the budget so that you can afford to support your passion whatever that might be from paying down debt, to going back to school, to finally taking a family vacation this is one money saving tip that might help. It might not seem like much but when you combine it with other money saving tips the results can be significant.
Looking for more ways to save money on bread? Visit my bread machine tips page for recipes and tips for baking your own bread and buns at home.
Linked to Weekend Whatever at Creative Christian Momma, Teach Me Tuesdays at Growing Home, WFMW at We Are That Family, WHW at Raising Arrows, The Mommy Club at Crystal&Co. Thrifty Thursdays at Living Well Spending Less
Get snail-e-mail in your inbox each week!
A weekly email with the feel of snail mail. A peek into my week, a few deals so good I just have to share, and links to all of Snail Pace Transformations latest posts!