- (Links in this post are affiliate links. I will be compensated when you make a purchase by clicking those links. See my disclosure page for more information)
I was out running the other day thinking about all I have learned through the years about making and keeping good friends and how most of what I have learned has come straight from the bible. I then began thinking of key verses that have helped me through the years in the area of friendship.
I want to make something clear before I share these ten verses on friendship that have helped me so much, I am not a perfect friend. I am one moody and introverted person– thankfully my friends offer me grace and forgiveness repeatedly.
However, over a decade ago having moved thousands of miles from anyone I knew God began a work in my heart through His word on what it takes to be a good friend and I started applying it. Since then I have made some of the deepest friendships of my life. Friends who are so close to my heart, I truly can say they are like family to me.
10 Bible Verses On What It Takes To Be A Good Friend
I am not going to talk about every verse. Instead, I am going to let the verses speak for themselves.
1. Good friends must be wisely chosen
Proverbs 12:26 “The righteous choose their friends carefully, but the way of the wicked leads them astray.” (NIV)
2. Good friends don’t gossip
Proverbs 16:28 “Troublemakers start fights; gossips break up friendships.” (The Message)
3. Good friends are loyal
Proverbs 17:17 “Friends love through all kinds of weather, and families stick together in all kinds of trouble.” (The Message)
4. Good friends speak the truth
Proverbs 27:5-6 “Better is open rebuke than hidden love. Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiplies kisses.” (NIV)
5. Good friends sharpen one another
Proverbs 27:17 “You use steel to sharpen steel, and one friend sharpens another.” (The Message)
6. Good friends offer great advice
Proverbs 27:9 “Perfume and incense bring joy to the heart, and the pleasantness of a friend springs from their heartfelt advice.” (NIV)
7. Good friends laugh and cry with their friends
Romans 12:15 “Laugh with your happy friends when they’re happy; share tears when they’re down.” (The Message)
8. Good friends practice healthy self-love
Mark 12:31 “The second is this; ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.” (NIV)
9. Good friends know boundaries
Proverbs 25:17 “And when you find a friend don’t outwear your welcome; show up at all hours, and he’ll soon get fed up.” (The Message)
10. Good friends are willing to sacrifice
John15: 12-13 “This is my command: Love one another the way I loved you. This is the very best way to love. Put your life on the line for your friends.” (The Message)
Other Articles I Have Written About Friendship
- 5 tips For Cultivating Friendships In A Busy World
- From New Town To Home Town Creating Friendship & Community
- 10 Bible Verses On The Power Of Our Words
Great books on Friendship
- Nobody’s Cuter than You: A Memoir About The Beauty Of Friendship
- Friendship: A Gift To Give
- The Friendships Of Women: The Beauty And Power Of God’s Plan For Us
Get snail-e-mail in your inbox each week!
A weekly email with the feel of snail mail. A peek into my week, a few deals so good I just have to share, and links to all of Snail Pace Transformations latest posts!