My husband is quite the cook. His bread machine pizza is so good the guests that have ate it have all told him he could open up a pizza joint. His apple pie is so yummy it is hard to stop at one piece.
His specialty is comfort food. You know those things filled with starches and fats that make you feel so good! Which is probably why it is a good thing he only cooks for the family 1 to 2 nights a week maximum, any more than that and I would be having to buy bigger pants on a regular basis.
One of his favorite meals for fall and winter is crock pot beef stew and bread machine bread. The bread is of course served warm and smothered in butter.
All of my families other favorite bread machine recipes are the type where just the dough is made in the machine and then it rises on the counter and is cooked in the oven, but my husband’s white bread recipe is done entirely in the bread machine.
That of course means that one end of the bread ends up with a hole in it, but no one seems to mind. It also means the slices are huge and square, but again no one seems to mind that either. In fact, a loaf is gone with just one dinner.
Since only my husband tends to make this bread and his name is Jack we call the bread “Jack’s bread”, even though essentially all it is just white bread.
You will notice that the recipe calls for milk but if you are low on milk , you can use hot water from the tap and then add 1/3 cup instant dry milk in with the dry ingredients. I have done this a time or two with great results. (mostly because I don’t like running to the grocery store mid week so I try to make sure our milk lasts 🙂 )
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm milk (we place it in microwave for 30 seconds)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups unbleached flour (or bread flour)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 teaspoons yeast (or one packet)
- put the milk in a bowl and place in microwave on high for 30 seconds and stir
- place the now warmed milk in the bottom of the bread machine pan
- chop butter into small pieces and place on top of milk
- add in flour (no stirring just add one ingredient and then the next)
- add in sugar
- add in salt
- add in yeast
- place the bread machine pan in machine and place at medium basic loaf setting
- serve warm
For a complete list of all my families favorite bread machine recipes and tips for using your bread machine check out my bread machine page.