Last updated on August 17th, 2019 at 03:40 am
(Links in this post are affiliate links. I will be compensated when you make a purchase by clicking those links. See my disclosure page for more information)
My goal for 2013 was to read 24 books but here it is almost June and I have read 29 books already. I am thrilled with my progress, and have decided to reset my goal to 75 books by the end of the year.
75 books to me seems like an impossible amount. Until this year I have never kept track of my reading and I had no idea how much it would spur me on, so I am using the motivation to push for what seems like the impossible.
I need to pull out all the tricks if I am going to obtain my new reading goal and not throw off the family balance I love so much.
I talked already about how I have added reading into my workouts today I want to share with you how I am using electronics to help me read in more places and in more ways than I thought possible.
8 electronics that are helping me to read more
1. My iPod– I don’t have a smart phone, but I do have a 4th generation iPod and I carry it every where with me since it is so small and light. I downloaded the kindle app to it and I always make sure to have at least 2 or 3 books downloaded off my kindle cloud onto my iPod to enjoy where ever. I find myself reading of the iPod in line at the bank and grocery store, while waiting for the children to wrap up their events, while waiting for my kickfit and strength classes to begin, pretty much anywhere that I have to wait.
2. Our family iPad– I share an refurbished iPad with the rest of the family so I can’t always grab it but when I can I love it for Sunday afternoon reading. I also just recently brought it to a homeschooling convention and read off the kindle app. in between sessions.
3. My Netbook– I read off my kindle cloud on my purple netbook while I knit. I love the fact that the screen stays upright allowing me to read and knit simple patterns at the same time. I suppose I could get a stand for our iPad and do the same thing, but remember I do share it with the rest of the family so it is nice to have the netbook available for just my viewing. I also use this netbook for reading ebooks that are not in kindle format, allowing me to keep my laptop free of ebook clutter.
4. Portable CD player– Our library has a great CD audiobook collection and I wanted a way to access it conveniently and inexpensively. Just recently I finally decided on a portable CD player (so recently that it is still in the box). My plan is to listen to books on CD from the library while doing various tasks like knitting, household cleaning, cooking and even gardening.
5. Portable Speaker– To make listening to the CD player easier I can attach it to the Jawbone portable speaker I received for my birthday. The sound on this speaker is amazing and it is so easy to move from room to room as I move.
6. Wireless Headphones-Some days I am sure my family will not want to listen to my book on CD so on those days I plan to use my wireless headphones . These will allow me to move around with ease in a room without having to get tripped up with wires or move the CD player.
7. Battery Charger-Since both the CD player and the Headphones take batteries I am planning to buy a battery charger so that I don’t have the week to week cost of batteries nor am I adding to the landfill.
8. iPod Car Charger– My iPod Car charger cord helps me to recharge my iPod fast when I am on the go allowing me to keep it going at all times.
The electronic devices I am already using are allowing me to squeeze in at least an hour or two more reading a week than I was without them and sometimes many more if I get on a knitting while reading kick.
I am curious to see how much more reading time the portable CD player and it’s accessories allow me.
Are you a bookworm with a reading goal this year? I would love to hear about it and the ways you are making your goal happen.
Three Places To Find Great Books For Little To No Cash
Get snail-e-mail in your inbox each week!
A weekly email with the feel of snail mail. A peek into my week,
a few deals so good I just have to share, and links to all of Snail
Pace Transformations latest posts!