Last updated on August 6th, 2020 at 02:38 pm
(Links in this post are affiliate links. I will be compensated when you make a purchase by clicking those links. See my disclosure page for more information)
After making up some of my chocolate peppermint fudge I had some crushed peppermint candies leftover. I was thinking I would save them and make up some peppermint cookie bark when my daughter said “mom peppermint would taste great in the double chocolate cookies you make”, and she was right! And that is how so Double Chocolate Peppermint Crunch cookies was born.
I simply made up my recipe as normal and then tossed in the leftover crushed peppermint candies (about 1/2 a cup), added in 1/4 tsp peppermint extract.
If you don’t have peppermint candies you can use candy canes as well. I crushed mine using our blender, you could also use a food processor or even simply place the peppermint candies or candy canes unwrapped in a ziplock bag and beat them with your rolling pin (it is a great way to work out any anger issues LOL).
The cookies turned out so yummy. They were soft and chewy and did not last long because the family gobbled them up and are now wanting more.
- 2½ cups unbleached flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup salted butter, (softened)
- 3 eggs (if the batter seems sort of dry go ahead and toss another one in)
- 2 tsp pure vanilla
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup crushed peppermint candies or crushed candy canes
- ¼ tsp pure peppermint extract
- Mix together your dry ingredients and set them aside
- Using an electric mixer beat together the butter with the sugars
- crack eggs into a separate bowl and whisk lightly
- add eggs to butter mixture and beat
- add in vanilla
- slowly add in dry ingredients until will mixed
- add in chocolate chips, crushed peppermints and peppermint extract
- drop by the tablespoon full on to greased cookie sheets
- place in a preheated oven at 300F for 18 to 22 minutes (mine took 20 minutes)
If you love cookies as much as I do you will love Mrs Fields Cookie Book.
Get snail-e-mail in your inbox each week!
A weekly email with the feel of snail mail. A peek into my week, a few deals so good I just have to share, and links to all of Snail Pace Transformations latest posts!