Last updated on August 17th, 2019 at 03:41 am
(Links in this post are affiliate links. I will be compensated when you make a purchase by clicking those links. See my disclosure page for more information)
Last week did not go quite as planned. The whole family started passing around a cold on Monday. My middle son Aiden was the first to come down with it, then my daughter, and then when the weekend hit my eldest son and I caught it. The hubby still seems to have successfully missed it for now.
The illness has made us all very tiny eaters, so we are saving money on food, but not in a eat down the pantry kind of way; we simply are not very hungry.
Here is what I did get done before I caught the bug.
1. I did get to Sam’s Club and stocked up on cheese, yeast, dried fruits and vinegar (for homemade cleaners). My husband came a long and we enjoyed a mostly point rewards paid for dinner for 2 at Panera bread as well as some good one on one talking time.
2. I finally got around to one of my goals for 2013 and tried a new recipe that used up a lot of the canned tomatoes we had on hand as well as the last of the dried pasta shells. I changed the recipe a bit so that I did not have to go out and buy any ingredients.
3. I also used up the Hershey Kisses in a cookie bar recipe I plan to share with my readers soon. The M&M’s got mostly used up too, but not in a recipe, instead they went straight from the bag to our tummies.
I did not however use up the broccoli (thanks for the great suggestions left by readers I have ideas for how to use it this week). I also did not use up any of the frozen zucchini.
Goals For This Week
1. Hold a mini bake-a-thon and make up some bake goods for the freezer out of ingredients we have on hand.
2. Use up the rest of the ham we baked up for Friday nights dinner in some meals for the freezer.
3. Take out Turkey to thaw and then cook it up later in the week and prepare the leftovers for quick meals.
4. Make a list of 8 or so days worth of food based on what we have left in our cupboards and buy only those items we need to complete those meals.
Get snail-e-mail in your inbox each week!
A weekly email with the feel of snail mail. A peek into my week, a few deals so good I just have to share, and links to all of Snail Pace Transformations latest posts!