(Links in this post are affiliate links. I will be compensated when you make a purchase by clicking those links. See my disclosure page for more information)
I have heard it from friends in real life, from reader’s who leave comments on my blog and others “point programs are not worth the time” but I disagree.
Back before I had blog and could reap the benefits of referral links better than I can now I still made $50 a month on average from point programs and I rarely spent more than 30 minutes 3 to 4 days a week on them. That works out to $6.25 to $8.33 an hour, not bad for work I squeeze around everything else I did as a full time homemaker and homeschooler.
Over the years I did this I learned a few tips that made me earn more with point programs quicker.
How To Earn Maximum Income From Point Programs
Join a bunch
The trick to earning maximum income from point programs is to belong to several and use them regularly Here is a list of some you may want to try
(for more see my list of 18+ point programs that includes store reward programs, cash back sites and coupon apps that pay out in gift cards where I share my favorites and explain in detail what I do and don’t do inside each one)
Try them all
I suggest trying each one point program and survey company you find that has good reviews and is recommended by bloggers you trust until you at least hit the first payout, and then decide if it is worth it for you or not.
My rule of thumb has been if it has taken me more than 4 months to reach what is the minimum payout for the site, whether that be magazine subscriptions, books, gift cards or Paypal cash out or check than I usually cut the program unless it takes less than a few minutes a day to earn points.
Give yourself a daily time limit and have a plan to maximize your time
Point programs work best when you work at them regularly. Then again you don’t want to devote your whole day to earning points as the pay just isn’t that good.
What I suggest is setting a timer for 30 minutes and then work from the quickest point earning activities to the most time consuming ones. Of course if you get into a survey in the last minute before your timer goes off know you are going to want to finish it so make sure you leave some flex time before you are going to be needed else where.
Here is a list that is also available for download at bottom of post
- Set timer for 30 minutes
- Get at least one Swagbucks app going on your tablet or smart phone
- Open 2 tabs on your laptop and in one get Swagbucks TV going on low volume (for the next 30 minutes click back to that tab whenever you hear a show finish and start another one, hint the pet shows are usually very short so you can earn more Swag Bucks faster)
- Do the Swagbucks daily poll
- Do the Swagbucks daily NOSO
- Make sure to do one search using the Swagbucks toolbar so you get a point the next day
- Go to Bing Rewards do any Earn and Explore Bing Rewards Credits
- Earn you 15 PC Bing Reward Credits
- Go to your tablet or Smartphone and earn the 10 mobile app Bing Rewards credits (if you had to pause the Swag Bucks app to do this don’t forget to get it going again once you are done)
- Go to Inbox dollars and click on all the paid emails
- Go through your email inbox and click on all the paid emails from My Points
- While your in your email inbox did Recycle Bank send you an earning email? If so do the activities
- Go to Paid Viewpoint and do any surveys you have waiting
- Go Back to Inbox dollars do they have any videos you can watch and do a few actions about them for points.
- Check the Read tab under “Discover” on the Swagbucks home page to see if you can earn a few quick points there.
- Stop timer here if it hasn’t gone off already. (if you wish leave your Swagbucks app running so you can earn the maximum points per day)
- If you have more time check My Survey for surveys.
There is a printable version of this list is available at the bottom of this post so that you can laminate it and either put in the front of a binder that will hold your earning tracking sheets (more on that in a moment) or clip it into my clipboard organizing system.
Repeat this list at least 3 times a week and you should see a steady income coming in from point earning programs month after month.
If you go through the entire earning process and love the program start referring others
Most point earning programs have a referral program. I don’t suggest using them until you have at least had one payout from the company, that way you can answer all questions your friends (or readers if you have a blog) might have. At the very least try out the program for a few weeks to make sure you like it and spend sometime searching for personal reviews and testimonials for the company online before sharing the referral links, you don’t want to risk your reputation for a few bucks.
Don’t over share. If your Facebook page becomes nothing but referral links you are going to offend your friends, or followers if your a blogger. Lightly sprinkle your requests to have people sign up.
Keep track of what you earn
It is too easy to lose track of what you are earning with point programs. A $5 Starbucks card earned here, A $10 Amazon card earned there, all soon forgotten. To make the most impact for time spent I highly recommend writing down each and every gift card, or free magazine or book you earn and keeping a tally.
The benefit for this goes beyond just helping you realize what you are earning month per month, it will also help you see with what companies you earn your greatest return and that will help you tweak your plan for maximizing profit. It will also help you see if you could pool various companies rewards together, such as trying to get Amazon cards from as many companies as possible so you are able to afford a once a month $35 free shipping order from Amazon of items your family needs.
I have included a downloadable pdf of the form I use for your personal use at the bottom of this post.
Spend your points wisely
$50 a month isn’t going to help your families budget out much if you spend it all on Starbucks coffee cards. By all means spend some on something that brings you a bit of sanity in the day to day. For, instance each and every month I load up my Starbucks gold card with $10 worth of gift cards earned from various point programs and use it to enjoy a few iced coffees through out the month. The rest of what I earn I try to cash out for either Amazon gift cards or Pay pal gift cards whenever I can so that I can have the most flexibility as to what I spend it on.
For instance from Amazon I am able to order school supplies, vitamins, shampoo and even running shoes.
Here is the link to my downloadable:Daily Point Rewards Program Plan
Here is the link to my downloadable: Point Program Earnings
Get snail-e-mail in your inbox each week!
A weekly email with the feel of snail mail. A peek into my week, a few deals so good I just have to share, and links to all of Snail Pace Transformations latest posts!