Last updated on September 8th, 2021 at 02:01 pm
(Links in this post are affiliate links. I will be compensated when you make a purchase by clicking those links. See my disclosure page for more information)
(The title could also read: The reason why you will always find picture books at my house even though my children are well past the picture book stage)
My children are all 10 and up well beyond the age of wanting to sit on my lap while I read them a picture book, yet I still have one shelf in my home full of them.
Oh I got rid of about 1/2 of our frugally bought read aloud collection but these that are left, they are not going anywhere. Why? Because I still love reading them.
What I noticed about our collection is that it is not made up of a title from this author and a title from that author but instead a few titles from this particular author and a few more from that author.
Here is my top 10 list of read aloud authors so good you won’t be able to stop reading them
2. Sandra Boynton: An author so good my husband insisted that I hang onto a few well-loved (battered) board books so that he could remember to give his grandkids her books (new non-chewed copies of course). Boyton’s book Moo Baa La La La was read at least 3 times daily for years in our home. Her The Going To Bed Book was a nightly must-read for one child for an entire year.
3. Judith Viorst: I still get out Viorst’s Alexander, Who Use To Be Rich Last Sunday whenever we have those weeks that bills seem to pop up like popcorn at an alarming rate. Another of her titles Rosie and Michael I read now and go that’s me and my hubby!
4. Robert Munsch: Known as that author that wrote the book that makes all moms cry but truthfully every other book I have ever read of his makes me laugh. My children use to laugh at his books so much I would have to pause before I turned to the next page so that they could hear me read over their laugh attacks. Some of our family favorites: I Have To Go , Stephanie’s Ponytail and Purple, Green and Yellow.
6.Max Lucado: I love Max Lucado’s children’s stories. They are full of great lessons of faith, and read like poetry. The words of If I Only Had A Green Nose still resonate with me today.
9. Laura Numeroff: “If you give a ……..” Oh, the adventures of that mouse. My children still use that line today for instance “If you give a blogger a cookie, she will want to take a picture of it to post to Instagram…later she will use it in a post….” and on and on goes the fun.
10. Jan Brett: Widely known for the story The Mitten Jan Brett has several other beautifully illustrated books that my children and I just cannot seem to part with.
What are your favorite read-aloud children’s authors and books?
Get snail-e-mail in your inbox each week!
A weekly email with the feel of snail mail. A peek into my week, a few deals so good I just have to share, and links to all of Snail Pace Transformations latest posts!