All the credit for Simple Layered Taco Pie go to a friend of mine who whipped it up for his family and posted a picture to Facebook. You know who you are, and I thank you for the inspiration.
I of coursed tweaked the recipe just a bit adding in a can of diced jalapeno’s and a can of hot enchilada sauce because my husband and I like our food spicy.
I needed to make 2 pies to serve my family of 5 but you can easily adapt the recipe for more or less people. I liked the addition of toppings on the side. For instance I took my piece out and then topped it with chopped lettuce, fresh tomatoes, cilantro and a dab of sour creme and salsa, but you could serve it plain if you want.
Simple layered taco pie is an excellent dish for a busy night. It does not take long to prepare and it looks a bit more elegant than plain old taco’s. My husband loves taking leftovers to work with him the next day as it reheats well.
- 2 pie plates
- 6 flour tortilla's roughly the size of a pie plate
- 1½ pound of hamburger
- 1 small can of diced jalapeno's
- 1 small can of enchilada sauce
- 1 packet of taco seasoning
- 1 to 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- an assortment of toppings such as lettuce, tomatoes, salsa and sour creme if you so desire.
- preheat oven to 350 degrees
- brown hamburger and drain
- add in taco seasoning packet and cook it until it is absorbed
- add in enchilada sauce and diced jalapeno's and stir until well mixed
- put a small amount of oil on the bottom of two pie pans and grease well
- put about ½ a cup of cheese away to the side (you will use this later to top the pies)
- place down a tortilla in each pie pan and top each one with ¼ of the meat and cheese
- add another tortilla on top and place another ¼ of meat and cheese
- top each pie plate with a third tortilla and sprinkle with the cheese you put to one side.
- Place in the oven at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes (until cheese on top is melted and so is the cheese between the layers)
- Serve with an assortment of toppings mentioned above if desired.