I have a large crock pot so I start out by soaking 2 1lb bags of dried split peas, over night. In the morning I rinse the peas and then return them to the crock pot.
I might or might not add a ham bone, or few strips of cooked bacon in the crock pot at this point (if you leave these out this recipe is vegetarian and vegan friendly). I then fill the crock pot up to about 1 inch below the rim.
I put the crock pot on high and add a dash of pepper and sea salt to the ingredients, place the lid on and leave it be for 6 to 8 hours.
- One to two 1lb bags of dried split peas (depending on size of your crock pot)
- Black pepper and sea salt to season
- Ham bone or several slices of cooked bacon
- Place bag(s) of dried split peas in crockpot and cover with water and allow them to soak over night (with crock pot off)
- Rinse peas and return to crock pot
- Add in ham bone or bacon
- Season with a generous amount of sea salt and black pepper
- Turn crock pot on high for 6 to 8 hours
- Serve with shredded cheese and bacon bits if so desired.
Don’t miss a post Subscribe By Email or By RRS Reader or follow along on Facebook
linked to Thrifty Thursdays at The Purposeful Mom, Frugal Family at Adventurez in Child’Rearing, P31 Thursdays at Raising Mighty Arrows, Tasty Tuesdays at Balancing Beauty and Bedlam, Delicious Dishes Recipe Party at Pocket Change Gourmet