These oatmeal breakfast bars are something I created when I didn’t have all the ingredients for a recipe and had to improvise. What was suppose to be a sweet oatmeal cookie ended up being a mildly sweet yet very filling oatmeal breakfast bar, that my husband loves.
Which workouts out well because My husband does not like to eat breakfast. In fact he doesn’t eat much of anything until he has been up at least 2 or 3 hours. He knows it isn’t the healthiest, but he just truly isn’t hunger until he has been up and moving for a while. Perhaps it is because he is a night owl and mornings don’t come easy for him.
Since he now goes to work at 9 instead of 11 like he use to he isn’t at home when he finally does get hungry. This leaves me with trying to think of a few easy grab and go foods he can eat at work. Often it is dried fruit or nuts, but other days I like to send him with something more substantial so when it turned out that he loved these oatmeal breakfast bars it was great news.
These breakfast bars are simple to make, taste great and really fill you up. I make them with white wheat flour , but you could try making the with a combination of unbleached and wheat flour or with straight unbleached if you prefer.
- 1 cup apple sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 1 egg
- 2 cups white wheat flour
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1 cup dried cranberries (or raisins)
- preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- mix together applesauce and butter in a large mixing bowl ( I used my hand mixer)
- stir in sugar
- stir in lightly beaten egg
- stir in the remaining ingredients.
- press in a lightly greased 9 by 12 pan
- bake for 15 to 20 minutes (lightly golden brown around edges)
- allow it to cool and then use your pizza cutter to cut into 20 to 24 bars.