I grew up with this recipe. When the chickens were not producing eggs, this is the cake my mom baked. It has no eggs and no butter and no milk and that is why it’s called Wacky, but it is oh so yummy.
You won’t be messing up a bowl or your mixer for this one. All you need is a 9 by 12 pan, a spatula and your measuring cups and spoons.
Mix up all the dry ingredients in your 9 by 12 pan. While you are mixing them go ahead and preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Now make 3 holes in your dry ingredients 2 small and one large. Pour in the vinegar in one, the vanilla in another, and in the large one the oil.
Then pour 2 cups of warm water over it all, and stir it all up until it is well mixed. Make sure to really get into the corners of the pan. Then place it in the oven for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
This will be the end result. Which is yummy by itself BUT……
- 3 cups unbleached flour (white wheat would work too)
- 1tsp soda
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 10 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 10 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups warm water
- mix all the dry ingredients into your 9 x13 pan
- make 3 holes in the dry ingredients
- add vinegar to one hole
- add oil to the second hole
- add vanilla to the third hole
- Pour 2 cups warm water over the entire pan.
- mix ingredients well.
- Place in preheated oven of 350 degrees for 30 minutes